Redmond Park in Wexford Town will be a hive of activity next Sunday when the rescheduled Picnic in the Park brings together a feast of music, dance, arts and sports. Those energetic souls behind the “Love Redmond Park” campaign are determined to make sure that this Summer goes out with a bang. The group, which has been doing lots of work on Redmond Park over the past few months, sees this event as being a sort of celebration of the community spirit that has helped turn the park around. The park, which has never looked better, is attracting everyone from hyper playground-bound kids to kettlebellers to skate-boarding teenagers.
Picnicing families will be treated to a fabulous array of entertainment with fancy moves from Footworx Dance School, junior gymnastics with ClubVitae, a trip to “Fairy Meadow” with Myriad Dance (bring your own wings and fairy outfit!), Red Moon Theatre and their jam-packed programme for budding artists, O’Looney’s Punch & Judy Show, Wexford Arts Centre’s “Little Artists” team who will be making mixed media trees “with a bubbly twist”, Chos Tae Kwon do display by the John & Linda Philips School, obstacle races with Menapians Athletics Club and novelty sumo wrestling thanks to Leisuremax. Live music is provided by blues, funk and rock outfit “the submersibles” while DJ Cullie from Get Busy Promotions will be spinning discs throughout the afternoon to keep people on their toes. Civil Defence will be on duty as will a hoard of volunteers from the Love Redmond Park group. Don’t forget to bring a picnic basket and a blanket (or for you SUV drivers garden table and chairs). Coffee Express will be there to keep caffeine levels topped up!
The park is looking particularly well at the moment thanks, in no small way, to the great work done there last weekend by a work party from Wexford Christian Community Church and their American guests. Visitors to the picnic will likely still feel the powerful positive energy they left behind them! Top marks to Wexford Tidy Towns and Wexford Borough Council for the way they have successfully mobilised people into taking part in the series of clean-ups over the Summer (they have over 1200 Friends on Facebook!). The results are there for all to see – Wexford Town has never looked better.
You can keep in touch with goings on at both Wexford Tidy Towns and Redmond Park on Facebook.
- Same Old, Same Old!
- Climate Change: the government still doesn’t get it
- Waterford to host Convention 2017
- Challenges facing Rural Ireland
- South East Economy Continues to Stagnate
- No Minister for Environment?
- Green Party welcomes Government u-turn on introducing pay-by-weight charges
- Green TD attacks parties for putting politics ahead of country
- ‘This election is make or break for the Green Party’
- Next politician that calls to your door ask him/her to outline their party’s environmental policy
- Same as it ever was!
- So where does the Green Party stand on the 8th Amendment?
- Still looking for a reason to vote Green?
- Green Party leader Eamon Ryan to speak in Gorey
- Ann’s Election Launch Evening A Great Success